Who am I
Tax Support Services Director
Hello, I am Rebecca Johnson and I have been an accountant for 30 years, covering many aspects of the profession, before concentrating on using my experience in the tax field.
I love a challenge. I love to add value. And I love to exceed expectations.
The common thread in my tax, internal audit and risk management roles is that all require significant collaborative interaction and communication skills with the wider business and group to perform your duties effectively and I have always needed to work efficiently and create effective digitally linked systems to manage challenging workloads.
Below are the 4 Important things to know about your Tax Support Expert
So where next.... That is up to you. Contact me if you feel I can support you.
Founder and Tax Support Services Director of Spur Support Services Ltd
Spur Support Services offers Tax Risk Management, Tax Process Digitalisation and other Tax Support Services to small to mid-sized businesses in Bristol, Bath and the South West, to help clients in pro-actively managing their tax risks to maximise inhouse efficiency whilst minimising the risk of HMRC penalties.
In order to provide a stable ongoing income stream over the years to come, I'm also offering general accounting services through Xero Cloud based accounting solutions. I'm really enjoying being able to apply my wealth of experience to this new environment to allow micro businesses to enjoy their bookkeeping and feel in control of their finances.
I am differentiated from alternative tax support providers due to my delivery speed, the depth of my inhouse experience, commercial approach and systems knowledge in addition to my TOTAL TAX technical skills (CT, VAT, IPT, HR and Environmental), all of which are enhanced by my understanding of HMRC’s responsible tax payer goals.
I'm differentiated from other Cloud Accounting Services, due to the depth of my knowledge and experience in business governance, reporting, systems and tax.
Former Tax Lead at DAS Group (Insurance and Law - turnover over £100m)
• Tax Lead for 3 years, during which time I built a strong, pro-active, transparent relationship with HMRC and the Tax Teams in the wider Munich Re Group.
• I efficiently reached agreement with HMRC on uncertainties in tax treatment, through submission of evidenced based, risk focused, technical reports and associated direct communications.
• I introduced the tax strategy and risk register together with tax governance, control, systems improvements and digitalisation, which accelerated delivery times whilst improving reporting accuracy, visibility and control.
Former Tax, Risk and Internal Audit Lead at Bristol Water Group and active Water Industry Tax Group member (Water Utility – turnover over £100m)
• Tax Lead for 15 years, who managed tax strategy, risk, capital programme analysis, compliance and associated Ofwat regulatory reporting for a regional water supply company
• Internal Audit Lead for 4 years who delivered and managed Canadian SOX compliance, together with the 3 year Corporate Internal Audit cycle and reporting to the Audit Committee.
• Risk Lead for 2 years who developed a collaborative Corporate Risk Reporting Framework to improve corporate risk transparency to the Executive and Board.
Devoted Wife and Mother with an adventurous heart
• Happily married to Graham after 23 years together, with a 14 year old teenage daughter and a water loving border collie.
• I’m a lifelong sea-kayaker, enthusiastic surfer, romantic skier and cautious 650cc motorcyclist. I also used to cave, but don’t seem to have time these days!
• I love watching the seasons change in my rural Somerset setting and adore trips away in the VW T5 (2010) campervan (outstanding home conversion by Graham).
Challenges aren't just for the work environment. Outside of work there is always more ways to combine relaxation with exploring new horizons.